Sunday, January 26, 2014

Christopher Brown - Printmaking


Christopher Brown, born in 1951 in North Carolina at a Marine Corps base, and is now a local artist living in Berkeley. He attended art school at UC Davis and later taught in the art studio department at UC Berkeley and was made Department Chair. He now teaches part time at the California College of the Arts.

"Big Hill" - 2011

Corner - 2007

Christopher Brown is both a painter and a printmaker. "If you want to find him otherwise, you have to pound on the door of his studio, an old printing plant in North Berkeley flats. He has no phone and there are no windows, except the ceiling, which casts a brilliant light as you sit in a paint-splattered chair he found on the street"(Sam Whiting, SF Chronicle).

Trackside - 2010

Fenced in - 2007

In an interview with the Chronicle he said, "I believe in the idea of insecurity, I won't say I like it, but I think it's important."

Painter - 2008
"Brown has received NEA grants in both painting and art criticism as well as awards from the American Academy and Institute of Art and Letters, and the Equitable and Rockefeller Foundations" - California College of the Arts

I chose this artist because I really enjoy the precise lines and geometric shapes that he uses. I also think that the color he uses are great. I think it is interesting how also incorporates painting into his prints. 
More information about Christopher Brown his studio and his work - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R1TJNBN3R8


No comments:

Post a Comment