Monday, October 10, 2016

Val Britton

Val Britton

Biography
  • Val Britton was born in Livingston, New Jersey in 1977.
  • She makes elaborate, oversized collages.
  • A lot of her work is inspired by mapping, and she includes maps in her work.
  • Her work is inspired by her father, a truck driver, who died when she was young. When she first started this work she would trace the routes her father drove and use them to make collaged maps, which evolved into the work she does currently.


Art
  • To make these collages, she works with different mediums, such as printmaking, drawing, painting, hand cut paper, etc.
  • She also hangs up her cutouts in order to create the same effect her paper work does but three dimensional


My opinion

  • I think Val’s art is very complex and intricate
  • It reminds me of a galaxy or of some sort of a complex cloud pattern
  • I like how she uses aspects of geometric shapes in her work, as well as almost random splatters and shapes and I think this creates a nice juxtaposition
  • I like the large shapes and I wonder if they are outlines of the routes her father took while he was a truck driver or regions that he drove around
  • I like the use of dark backgrounds with white shapes

No comments:

Post a Comment