Sunday, October 9, 2016

Shoichi Ida

Shoichi Ida was born in Kyoto, Japan in 1941. He passed away in 2006. Shoichi was a printmaker and paper artist. Since the 1960’s, he focused on a concept which he called, The Surface is the Between. He states, about his concept, that “The surface can be the paper or canvas or whatever; it is the point of contact between me and the ideas I am working on. Through my work I try to make invisible phenomena visible by showing the point of contact.”  He told Constance Lewallen in a 1989 interview that he was moved to begin making prints in the early 1960s when a stone left an impression on a piece of paper in his studio. He had done a lot of work in Japan, though he had also done five etching projects with Crown Point Press in 1984 through 1992. I choose Shoichi because I like the aesthetic of his work. A lot of his prints are very clean and organized yet messy at the same time. There is a lot of hand drawn lines that draw me in and is something that I try to use in my work.




No comments:

Post a Comment