Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Richard Bosman

Biography
Richard Bosman was born in 1944 in Madras, India.
He now lives in Esposus, New York.

He studied in the Bryam Shaw School of Painting and Drawing in London, the New York Studio School, New York and the Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture, Skowhegan, ME.
Richard Bosman does painting and print making. 
He is “known for his woodcuts depicting turbulent seascapes.”(artspace.com)

Fogbank 1984 Etching (rbosman.com)
I really liked how two images were stacked one onto of the other to demonstrate the change in the scene( from the boat not being visible to being visible demonstrating it moving out of the fog). I also really like the subtle gray colors. I think it captures fog well. In addition I think the black lines indicate water well.
The wave 1984 woodcut (rbosman.com)
I really like how full of color this wood cut is. In addition I like how there is a symmetry between the top and the bottom of the wave. This time he uses very different methods to convey water but it still works very well.



 Tropical Sunset 1984 linocut (rbosman)
I really love the colors and the contrast between the colors on this piece. 

Volcano 1989 woodcut (rbosman)
Night Sky 1990 Etching ( rbosman.com) 
Drowning Man 1981 wood cut 
I don't like this piece as much as his other pieces but I feel that it represents a different and important part of his work, one which is much darker and seems to be centered around human tragedies like drowning, suicide, or car crashes ect. 

About the art (opinion)
I really like some of his art. His pieces which focus on nature or just the environment are really bountiful. ( I particularly liked the sunset piece). I also like images of water in art and he portrays water in many different was in many of his pieces.
A lot of his art is very beautiful but also demonstrates destruction and chaos (like his wave print and his volcano print).  I think that this really conveys the dual aspects of nature in that it is both destructive and dangerous but also very beautiful.
A lot of his pieces are also quite haunting like “Drowning man.” These pieces seem to want to talk about depression and destruction in human life. I do not like these as much but they are an important section of his work.
Bibliography
 

No comments:

Post a Comment